Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Little Things

It really is the tiniest moments snatched from the day that show the beauty and magic of parenthood. 

Bear with me through my short moan and groan here, I swear it's worth it by the end. We've had a very trying week, with Caiden out of school with a stomach bug for three days (which means lost work for Momma), followed by Rebecca sick all weekend and into Monday (more lost work). I've been so busy trying to take care of the sick tummies, figure out food that won't make it worse, lost sleep from midnight crying (...and puking...and, well, other messes...), washing everything in sight, and trying to snatch a moment or two of work when I can to save my paycheck that the house (and my mood) is an utter disaster. 

Of course, a bug like the one they had wipes out their energy and after they are supposedly "better" you pay your dues for another week with short tempers, whining, demanding attitudes (after all, Mom's been waiting on them hand and foot for days, right?), and inexplicable meltdowns while they continue to recoup. All while mentally trying to tally the bills, get back in the game at work, get the house in order, and not come down *too* hard on their poor little heads. I guess I can admit this is one of those weeks where I was struggling not to lose sight of the bigger picture. 

But. 

Caiden was having trouble falling asleep tonight because his blankie is in the wash. So in hopes that a poor substitute is better than nothing, I grabbed the blanket off my own bed and wrapped him up. He lay there taking deep breaths for a minute or two, and then grinned so wide he could have cracked his face. :) He says, "Mom, now I can sleep! This blanket smells like YOU." And then a few minutes later, as his eyes are closing, he whispers, "Momma, you know how I know you love me? Because you would give me all of you if you could. And I know that."

I'm telling you, parenthood may be vomit and diarrhea, tears and screaming, a kitchen full of dishes and a living room strewn with toys. 

But it's also unicorns and rainbows and tiny people who love you more than you ever could have believed and can knock you senseless with only a few words. 

If I can just catch those moments when they happen, it makes all the rest worthwhile. 

<3


No comments:

Post a Comment