Monday, May 13, 2013

The Morality of Food

I had tilapia for dinner which the kids shun with a passion....they're now in the tub having a rousing debate about the morality of eating fish.  :D  Caiden was playing catch the fish and eat them with his sponge animals when Rebecca pointed out that ONE of those fish you're eating looks like our PET fish in the fish tank, Stop Eating Him NOW PLEASE! This was a quick segway into just *why* exactly some fish are special and they're your pets and you feed them and clean their home and buy them medicine when they're sick. But *other* fish....they're just dinner. Caiden says hey, that's just the way the world works and if you don't want to be dinner you better get someone who thinks you're special. He says our tank fish are pets because they're CUTE. Tilapia is UGLY, which he knows because Momma showed him a picture one time. It's the tilapia's fault. He could have tried harder to be cute. Rebecca is, of course, on the completely opposing side. She says any animal which *could* be a pet should not be an option for dinner. Ever. And further, it's not the poor tilapia's fault his mom and dad made an ugly baby. He would be cute if he could be cute, so it's not his fault and we shouldn't eat him just because. 

This is making my night. I'm absolutely delighted (in a way I'm sure only their mother could be, or would even notice) with how they're sticking to the topic, countering each other's points, and really thinking it through.

I'm just going to keep leaning here against the wall in the hallway, out of sight, envisioning my future high school debate team stars while I see how this wraps up. 

$2 it comes to blows before it's over. They ARE still little, after all!


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment