Monday, April 29, 2013

Boy Next Door

So Rebecca's outside playing in the dirt in her ratty "I've been home sick all week" clothes when the little neighbor boy from her Kindergarten class comes out and starts playing with trucks on his patio. (For those of you who know Timmy, no this story is NOT about Timmy, thank goodness!). This is Oswaldo, the neighbor to the *left*. 

Rebecca asks him to come play with her and he says no way, he's playing trucks. 

Rebecca sits in the dirt for about five minutes, absolutely motionless, but clearly thinking. 

Then. 

Rebecca comes back inside. She washes her hands and face. She changes into a dress. She puts on her sunglasses. She puts glitter paint in her hair. She puts on her sparkly red shoes. She goes back outside, deliberately turns her back on Oswaldo, and resumes playing. 

Guess who's sitting in the dirt playing house with my daughter, having left his trucks behind? Yup, that's right. Oswaldo. 

So now I'm standing in the kitchen with just two things on my mind: 

a) The prospect of her high school years just became 10x as terrifying as they already were. 

b) My daughter has more "female" in her fingertips than I have in my whole body. How on earth does a tomboy raise a little lady?

Thank god I still have a few years to figure it out!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment