Sunday, April 7, 2013

First Foray into Beekeeping


Most of the time the blog is dedicated to the kids and what they're up to...but I'm out here in Oregon too and occasionally up to something pretty awesome for me. So, here's a post that has nothing to do with the kids, but everything to do with our life and what we're up to. 

Last year I watched my friend Chris set up her beehives, and hung around the edges helping a bit, but not really part of the action. Even on the outskirts it was an incredible experience...one of those moments when you feel like you are doing something you were meant to do all along and I decided on the spot that when I have my own property, there will *certainly* be bees. 

Chris is always more than willing to teach me everything I want to know about any aspect of farming and she invited me over to really help on bee day this year. After watching her do the first three, I got to do the last hive by myself. 

For those of you who may not want to sit through 6 minutes of buzzing bees, there's a snapshot at the top of the post of pouring the bees into the hive. For the rest of you, here is the video of my (admittedly hesitant, slightly awkward, but nevertheless successful!) very first hive setup. Cross your fingers for me they turn it into a home and I get to learn how to harvest honey soon!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment