So, I posted the other day how reading has "clicked" for Rebecca. Should have seen something like this coming from my girl...she was sitting with a book this morning, busily sounding out words, when she looks up with a little peeved furrow between her eyes and says:
"Mom. I think the people who made up reading were not so smart as they should be. I don't like the way they make the sounds."
I'm still in a lack-of-coffee haze, trying to think of how to respond, when she walks off, grabs a pencil, and starts busily scribbling away at her book and filling in other letters. So I ask her, "Okay then, what exactly are you changing in that book?????"
And she says:
"Well, I think it's dumb to use a 'y' at the end of a short word. We should just use 'i', so I'm changing 'my' to 'mi' and 'by' to 'bi'. That's easier to remember. And anyway, who came up with the rule about not saying the 'e' and changing the middle sounds?' That is NOT easy to remember either. So I'm changing it. This word can be 'tym' instead of 'time' and that word needs to have the extra 'l' taken out. Otherwise I make the sound again and sound like I can't talk when I CAN. So that's going to be 'fel' instead of 'fell'...."
I am no match for this in the morning. Change away, baby girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment