Friday, October 7, 2011

Blueberry & Apple Picking

Well, we're finally starting to get settled so I'm trying to find some time for the blog again.  Our first week was very eventful and I do have lots to share, so I'll get started and try to keep plodding through one at a time until we catch up to today.  :)

Last week we went blueberry and apple picking at Perry Hill Farm, which is about half an hour away from here.  It was an overcast fall day and we were checking out the scenery as we drove....noticing how flat the land is...noticing the hills in the distance...noticing the *massive* piles of cloud gloom...noticing how *huge* the sky looks....long story short by the time we even got to the farm the kids were feeling uneasy and anxious but couldn't put words to why.  I could though, because Mommy was feeling the same way!  It was more than a little unsettling to be faced with such a vast landscape where the colors, sizes, and relationships of the land seem 10x what we are used to.  Witness: 


Well, our second big shocker was arriving to the apple picking and finding a TOTAL lack of touristy-attractions!  I myself was prepared for a lack of hayrides, corn mazes, farm tours and cider donuts, but even I was not quite expecting to pull up next to a small shack with self-service prices on the side and not a soul in sight!  We wandered our way over to the apple trees without encountering anyone more than a single man zooming by on a small something-or-other farm related.  We did have fun wandering the trees, (Momma and Auntie did the vast majority of the picking), found some pigs, and ate several apples each.  















By this point the children were pretty well on their way to done with the whole experience, but it was the LAST day for blueberry picking and we really didn't want to miss it!  Shame on Mommy.....should have called it right there!  Blueberry picking was another 1/2 mile over on the same farm, down some *really* scary steep gravel hills Auntie Monster just zoomed down and we took like a snail.  Here was another rural revelation for us:  This is a *real* farm.  They do NOT waste production time clearing their brambles from each and every bush.  Yes, Rebecca ran directly into a long bramble tendril which actively wrapped itself around both legs and an arm!  About the time I was forcibly yanking the brambles out of her dress, Caiden decided he was done. No WAY was he putting one more foot on the ground until we were back in the car and leaving the farm!  We did stick it out a bit longer, I was able to find some bushes without brambles to sit under and pick while we snuggled.....but he was not won over. Here are a few pictures I managed to get before the bramble incident....






So....we all knew the big move would turn out to be an adventure, right?  We are apparently only just beginning to learn in how many varied ways that will be true.  We have been out and about a few times since and we are adjusting to the landscape and the weather.  In truth it has been a wonderful start and each day is turning out better than the day before.  I still have pictures of at least 2 different parks to get up as well as our first day visiting the farm where I am working.  I will try to get them up tomorrow. 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment