Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Dinner Conversation

You wouldn't believe the conversations that go on at my dinner table sometimes. 

Tonight, Rebecca: "So Momma, how come I can't play games at home where everybody's sick and dying?"

Me: "Well GEEZ, Rebecca! Because it's upsetting! 

Rebecca: *bug eyes* "Then how come at school they get to tell me all sorts of stories where everybody's sick and dying, even the kids, and even the moms, and ALL the people pretty much die in the end?"

Me: "What? WHAT? I don't understand. What story was this???"

Rebecca: "Oh, well the one where all the people's FEELINGS were being ruled and so then they died on the boat before they got here, and then died of Indians. And the moaning."

Me: "The WHAT?"

Rebecca: "The moaning. Where you cough and die. Like, it starts with a P. But it's a *silent* P, Momma. The Moaning, not P-Moaning."

Me: Oh.....Pneumonia?

Rebecca: Yeah, that. So then the ones who weren't got by the boat or the moania just died of no food and no warm coats instead. So tomorrow I'm going to be awfully thankful my ant-sisters weren't the ones dying all over the place, and so *I* got to be born!   *big smile*

Let me tell you, this kid's lucky her Mom used to be a teacher. Just as I'm prepping myself mentally to go into school guns blazing on Monday, I remembered the Thanksgiving story I used to read out loud to my class. Thirty pages, ONE of which mentions the above in not nearly as much gory detail as my daughter chose to imbue it with. Yes, that's the same story they read today, and of course that's the one page my darling latched onto and ran away with!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment