Friday, February 10, 2012

Food!

So recently I've been getting the kids a lot more involved in our food choices. They've been taking a *very* active role in grocery shopping, helping me make the list before we go, getting the food off the shelf themselves, even bagging at the register! 
Now that I've finished my most recent round of dieting, I'm working on making healthy but still tasty and filling meals. Rebecca's been helping with salads (her favorite!), peeling vegetables, chopping carrots, and pouring the dressing for dipping her beloved cucumbers in. Caiden's been getting much more involved in the meat & potatoes of cooking....mixing, stirring, egg-cracking, and watching the food "make" like it's a beautiful movie. And I mean that quite literally...just this morning he pulled his comfy chair over in front of the stove and sat entranced for well over 10 minutes while the muffins rose in the oven.


All of this has been going on in the background, just as a part of getting on with life and making the most of every day.....and I completely overlooked the fact that MY CHILDREN ARE EATING!
Some of you may not have known them intimately enough to know just how much of a daily battle getting food in their bellies has been. Others (hi mom!) would be just as blown away as I was when I actually stepped back and watched them DEVOUR the chicken soup we all made together for lunch. I mean DEVOUR. "Mom, can I have another scoop of tasty chicken?" "Mom! My noodles are all gone, more please!" "Mom, listen to me slurp! That's yummy chicken juices!"
And this was after they had 3 muffins each for breakfast....oh yeah, and a banana & apple (each) to tide them over mid-morning. 
I guess it really does taste better when you make it yourself. 
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment