We have had quite a few days of heavy rains (it's actually been raining for at least a week!) and as of yesterday continuing through today many area rivers have been spilling their banks. It is currently being classified as the "third largest flood in the last decade". Don't worry anyone, Melissa and I are both far, far out of any potential flood regions. BUT.....we have been having some great water-related adventures anyway!
Rebecca and Caiden earned their "Farmer Hero" badges this morning along with Jack & Auntie Monster at a friend's farm who had put out a request for help in rescuing their crops from the advancing flood waters. Talk about excitement! Between the four, they (or rather, Melissa) dug an entire box of potatoes in just an hour. Pictures will be forthcoming just as soon as Melissa has a chance to get them off her phone. I stayed home on baby duty and it was quite something to see them all pour back into the house wet, clammy, filthy and PROUD. I am told you could see the river and flooded fields directly from the farmhouse porch. I'm looking forward to the pictures myself!
Well, after getting everyone warmed up and fed, I went for my weekly trip to the office.....only to discover my boss had spent the morning out on a boat in the river rescuing llamas! His property is *just* beyond the reach of the water, but his poor neighbor is not so lucky. When the fields began filling up with water this morning, three llamas ended up stranded with the water creeping higher.
Jared and his neighbor found a boat and went out on the river to halter the llamas and herd them back to shore. I missed the whole thing (dammit!) but I hear there was plenty of adventure, with lead lines getting tangled, llamas going under water, and eventually a successful rescue. Don't worry though, the local newspaper AND tv station were there, so yet again, pictures will be forthcoming! The video clip is supposed to be on the news tonight and I will certainly forward it on!
Welcome to Oregon winter, huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment