Rebecca: Mom, what does "hello" mean?
Me: Um. It means that you are seeing someone and letting them know you see them? Is that what you mean?
Rebecca: No. Like what does it SAY? Like, in China, you ask people how their knees are. What does "hello" mean? I don't think it's polite to go around calling hell at people... Hell is a BAD word. Maybe that's why you say "O" afterward.
Me: What are we talking about?
Rebecca: Like "ni hao"! What Does Hello Really Mean, Mom????
So of course I had to look up the derivation of hello. She is not impressed that our word is just a general sound. She wishes we were more like the Chinese. She is debating whether she should greet Mrs. Coy in the morning by asking her how her knees are.
I have to say, I hope she goes with it!
This could be amusing. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment