Friday, June 1, 2012

Kindergarten!

Rebecca will be starting Kindergarten in the fall! Grandhaven Elementary is one of the best rated schools in the district and within walking distance from our house. I talked to her a few months ago about school and what her days would be like if we chose for her to go and she was So Excited! She says she is a big kid now and very much wants to do things out of the house with a teacher and friends and she is ready to Learn!


We went over in May and signed her up, and this morning she went back for Kindergarten Screening day. I believe they sub-divide the classes by skill level to make sure each group is working on the skills they need. 


I wasn't sure how it would go since I have never done this before, but as soon as we got there a teacher slapped a name tag on her dress and whisked her away down the hall. So much for separation anxiety, my big girl took off running, shouting over her shoulder, "Bye Mom!"


We saw her an hour later walking perfectly in line with a huge smile on her face. She stepped out of line just long enough to wave wildly at us and then finished her march down the hall. First thing she did was give Caiden the cookie she had been saving for him.   :)


She says she wrote her name and counted to ten and didn't fidget in line and listened quietly to the story. She says the only confusing part was that some of their headphones were broken (hearing test?). She said one made the beeps just right but one was broken so she told the teacher, "My ears can hear, but your headphones are broke."   :P


I didn't get much feedback from the teacher when they came back, just a quick, "She did wonderfully, she's very bright," in passing. They do pass out a Kindergarten Readiness paper to check off the skills they should have on the first day of school and ask you to assess your child and work with them over the summer on any skills they may be lacking. I think she's fine though...she's had every skill on the list for at least six months or more.  :D


I'll keep you all updated as we go along, but her first day is September 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment